This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you want more information, please see my Affiliate Disclosure.
Mental health has become a health crisis in America, and it’s sting can be felt in the Church as well. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, nearly one in five Americans live with a mental illness. Unfortunately, some misinformed Christians over our history have stigmatized mental health illnesses. From leading people to believe that mental illness is a result of sin, to having the audacity to assume demonic possession is the cause of mental illness, the history of the Christian church hasn’t been too favorable towards those who suffer with mental health issues.
I firmly believe that past Christian leaders misgivings towards mental health challenges is something we modern day Christians should repent of and do everything we can to reverse. Not only are those statements of the past completely based out of ignorance, but they completely bypass the droves of scripture proving that mental health struggles are something God cares deeply about. We can look right at this list of Bible verses to see that God cares for those struggling in their mind. We live in a fallen world, therefore we’re subject to the struggles of it. Mental health matters to God, just as much as physical health.
In this post, I’m sharing 20 Bible verses that give hope to those with mental health struggles. No matter what it is you may be dealing with, God gives us comfort in His word.
My prayer is that the Holy Spirit would meet you in your hurt and give you healing through His word.
At the end of this article, I also give you tips on how to use these scriptures effectively in your every day life. I also provide resources from reputable sources for mental health treatment.
I am not a medical professional, nor do I claim to be one anywhere on The Overcoming Mom. I am simply a mom who has been through hell and back with my own stint of postpartum depression and postpartum anxiety. If you’re experiencing suicidal thoughts, severe mental illness, or in need of a physician or other medical help, you can call 988 for the National Institute of Mental Health hotline at any time and get help. At the end of this article I’ve also given other professional mental health resources.
Mental Health Bible Verses In The Old Testament
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
2 Samuel 22:29
“For You are my lamp, O Lord;
The Lord shall enlighten my darkness.
Mental Health Bible Verses In Psalms
When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.
He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”
Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler
And from the perilous pestilence.
He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,
Out of the miry clay,
And set my feet upon a rock,
And established my steps.
He has put a new song in my mouth—
Praise to our God;
Many will see it and fear,
And will trust in the Lord.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble.
O Lord, how many are my foes!
Many are rising against me;
many are saying of my soul,
“There is no salvation for him in God.” Selah
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me,
my glory, and the lifter of my head.
I cried aloud to the Lord,
and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah
I lay down and slept;
I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
who have set themselves against me all around.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
Mental Health Bible Verses In The New Testament
2 Timothy 1:7
for God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power and love and a sound mind.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
2 Corinthians 10:4-6
For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every lofty opinion that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh.
These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
2 Corinthians 1:2-4
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
How To Use These Bible Verses
When using scripture as inspiration for life, there’s many ways to make it an effective practice. Here’s a few quick tips:
- Read the verses in the full context. Read the entire chapter, and really take in the story being told. You may gain more out of it when you hear the entire scripture in context.
- Write them down, or print them out. Having a hard copy of these verses wherever you need them could be very beneficial. You could write them on an index card or a post-it note and put it wherever you want. Keeping these bible quotes nearby can be a great reminder of the goodness of God wherever you are.
- Write your own affirmation inspired by the scripture. Think of an “I” statement that would go well with the scripture you’re using, and recite it to yourself. Affirmations often get a bad rap in Christian circles because of its ties to various new age practices. We can demystify the positive effects of affirmation by remembering and acknowledging that our help comes from God alone, and not from how good our affirmations are. I explain this more in detail in this post.
- Pray the scriptures. The Word of God is alive and active, and is an effective tool in prayer. Incorporate these scriptures in your prayer. Making prayer part of your daily life alone is a powerful tool, but pairing scripture with it is all the better. I guarantee you that finding a way to incorporate the Word of God into your daily self talk will create a more genuine positive attitude.
- Don’t keep them to yourself, share them with a friend! Do you have any dear friends struggling with anything? Then share these scriptures or your other favorites with them. We all need encouragement from God’s truths to overcome any mental health struggle. Even something as simple as sending your favorite Bible verse in a text to a friend could be such a profound act of compassion. Not only do others need encouragement, but when we encourage others it lifts us up as well.
The Bible tells us to hide the Word of God in our hearts. So consider your own way to hide these words in your heart. When you find yourself in any kind of emotional state, how do you think you can use the Word to lead you through?
Mental Health Resources
- National Institute of Mental Health – is the lead federal agency for research on mental health conditions. They offer lots of information and statistics on various mental illnesses, and they have a database of healthcare providers. They also have a suicide hotline and crisis hotline (Call 988 For the suicide and crisis hotline) , as well as free crisis text line (Simply text HELP to 741741.)
- Betterhelp – Is an online therapy service that makes therapy accessible and affordable for all people. They have a huge database of therapist with many specialties, and offer many ways to participate in therapy.
- Faithful Counseling – Is very similar to Betterhelp, but is a database of online Christian therapists. If you would prefer to receive therapy from a faith-based perspective, then this could be just for you.
- Brightside – offers online medication and therapy treatments for depression and anxiety. You can get an appointment with an online provider in as little as 48 hours, and each treatment plan is catered to your personal needs.