This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you want more information, please see my Affiliate Disclosure.
Stress is an inevitable part of life. We all experience it to a certain degree and at some point in time. But there are also times when the stress of our every day life makes us overwhelmed. Being overwhelmed with high stress levels stress can take a toll on our physical health and mental health. God’s word offers us so much comfort for a myriad of stressful situations.
In this post, I’m going to give you 20 scripture verses to keep in your heart when you’re overwhelmed with stress. I’ll also give you some tips on how to use these scriptures in your every day life, as well as mental health resources.
My prayer is that in your most stressful times, you will find peace and comfort in the word of God. God is with you in everything, even in your stressful moments. May these comforting Bible verses bring you great peace, and be a great reminder of God’s love for you.
Bible Verses For When You’re Overwhelmed In The Old Testament
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own understanding.
Acknowledge him in all your ways,
and he will make your paths straight.
Open the gates
that the righteous nation may enter,
the nation that keeps faith.
You will keep in perfect peace
those whose minds are steadfast,
because they trust in you.
Trust in the Lord forever,
for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.
You clothed me with skin and flesh,
and knit me together with bones and sinews.
You have granted me life and steadfast love,
and your care has preserved my spirit.
For I am the Lord your God
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
I will help you.
say to those with fearful hearts,
“Be strong, do not fear;
your God will come,
he will come with vengeance;
with divine retribution
he will come to save you.”
Bible Verses For When You’re Overwhelmed In Psalms
From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Keep me safe, my God,
for in you I take refuge.
The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked advance against me
to devour me,
it is my enemies and my foes
who will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then I will be confident.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
Surely the righteous will never be shaken;
they will be remembered forever.
They will have no fear of bad news;
their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord.
Their hearts are secure, they will have no fear;
in the end they will look in triumph on their foes.
Bible Verses For When You’re Overwhelmed In The New Testament
Do not be anxious about anything. Instead, in every situation, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, tell your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things.
“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
1 John 4:17-19
This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because he first loved us
1 Peter 5:6-7
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.
How To Use These Bible Verses
When using scripture as inspiration for any struggle, there’s many ways to make it an effective practice. Here’s a few quick tips:
- Read the verses in the full context. Read the entire chapter, and really take in the story being told. You may gain more out of it when you hear the entire scripture in context.
- Write them down, or print them out. Having a hard copy of these verses wherever you need them could be very beneficial. You could write them on an index card or a post-it note and put it wherever you want. Keeping these bible quotes nearby can be a great reminder of the goodness of God wherever you are.
- Write your own affirmation inspired by the scripture. Think of an “I” statement that would go well with the scripture you’re using, and recite it to yourself.
- Pray the scriptures. The Word of God is alive and active, and is an effective tool in prayer. Incorporate these scriptures in your prayer. Making prayer part of your daily life alone is a powerful tool, but pairing scripture with it is all the better.
- Don’t keep them to yourself, share them with a friend! Do you have any dear friends struggling with stress and overwhelm? Then share these scriptures or your other favorites with them. We all need encouragement to overcome any struggle. Even something as simple as sending your favorite Bible verse in a text to a friend could be such a profound act of compassion. Not only do others need encouragement, but when we encourage others it lifts us up as well.
The Bible tells us to hide the Word of God in our hearts. So consider your own way to hide these words in your heart. When you find yourself totally overwhelmed, how do you think you can use the Word to lead you through?
Mental Health Resources
- Betterhelp – Is an online therapy service that makes therapy accessible and affordable for all people. They have a huge database of therapist with many specialties, and offer many ways to participate in therapy.
- Faithful Counseling – Is very similar to Betterhelp, but is a database of online Christian therapists. If you would prefer to receive therapy from a faith-based perspective, then this could be just for you.
- Brightside – offers online medication and therapy treatments for depression and anxiety. You can get an appointment with an online provider in as little as 48 hours, and each treatment plan is catered to your personal needs.